Women who want to maintain a youthful appearance typically think about minimizing facial wrinkles or undoing sun damage to improve the quality of their skin. Few think about the ways their breasts can make them look older or less fit than they actually are. A breast lift or breast implants at our Boston-area plastic surgery practice may be just the pick-me-up your breasts need.
There are some nonsurgical ways to help your breasts keep looking perky and youthful. These include good habits such as:
- Not smoking
- Maintaining a steady, healthy weight
- Using sunscreen when outside
- Avoiding excessive drinking
- Exercising frequently
- Wearing well-fitting bras
- Paying attention to your posture
The Benefits of a Surgical Procedure
Cosmetic surgery, however, still remains the best way to correct some of the issues that cause breasts to begin looking older. With advanced surgical techniques and the variety of implant products available, a surgical procedure can address one or multiple concerns. These are some of the ways breasts can convey your age:
- Cleavage: The line formed between the upper interior of the breasts can communicate both youthfulness and sensuality. This is what people see when you wear a V-neck sweater of low-cut dress.
- Breast size: Contrary to what most people assume, large breasts can create the illusion of being older than you are. That’s because they tend to sag, and gravity pulls most of the volume down. That effect counters the idea of creating cleavage.
- Nipple position: The nipples and areolae (the dark skin surrounding the nipples) should be elevated for breasts to appear perky and youthful. Large areolae also contribute to making breasts look old.
Cosmetic breast surgery can address all of these issues. Breast augmentation alone can create cleavage that’s proportional to the rest of a woman’s body, but it won’t produce a lifted appearance that’s also desirable for women with sagging breasts. Combining implants with a breast lift is the best approach in these cases, as you can see in our gallery of before-and-after photos featuring some of my actual patients.
How a Breast Reduction Helps
Women who get breast reduction surgery are often surprised that having smaller breasts makes it appear that they actually lost weight overall. They also are some of the most satisfied patients we have at Coastal Plastic Surgery, not only because of the results they achieve, but also because they become more active and enjoy outdoor activities or working out in ways they never did before the surgery.
Knowing which procedure is best for you is something that needs to be discussed with a board-certified plastic surgeon. Contact us using the online form to request a consultation or call us at 1 of our 3 locations to schedule an appointment: (781) 740-7840 (Hingham), (617) 306-3175 (Boston), or (508) 901-9239 (Nantucket).