When considering injectable treatments, patients in my Boston-area practice often aren’t sure if their needs would be better addressed with BOTOX, which relaxes muscles, or dermal fillers, which provide volume under the skin. I often hear some debate about which approach is truly the “best” for treating age-related concerns like lines and wrinkles.
In reality, both options deliver powerful anti-aging results and offer a minimally invasive experience with little to no recovery time. However, they each have their advantages, which I’d like to discuss in this post to help you select the best option for your needs.
- BOTOX and other botulinum-based treatments like Dysport® relax specific muscles that contract to cause minor wrinkles and lines in the face with repeated movements.
- Fillers like JUVEDERM® and Restylane® treat signs of aging like kissing lines, nasolabial folds, and hollows under the eyes by filling them in to smooth them out.
Results and Longevity
- BOTOX results start to take effect after about 48 hours. These results typically last 3 to 4 months, at which point another series of injections is necessary.
- Depending on which filler you choose, your results may last for more than 2 years before the filler eventually dissolves. During your appointment, you will be able to see the difference immediately.
- On top of its anti-aging indications, BOTOX can also provide relief from issues like migraine headaches and can work to stop excessive sweating.
- Fillers are a popular option for facial contouring and work well for adding volume to the cheeks, lips, temples, and chin. In some cases, fillers can also provide a nonsurgical approach to procedures such as rhinoplasty.
The Injectable Experience
What both BOTOX and fillers have in common is that they are delivered through injections. This means discomfort is minor and there is little to no downtime for recovery. With both options, sticking to a dedicated skincare routine with prescription strength products will help your results last—and may even enhance them.
While there is often a debate on which is the more effective anti-aging solution—BOTOX or fillers—the truth is they each work for specific uses and concerns, so it ultimately comes down to your unique needs.
When you come in for a consultation, we will have an in-depth discussion about your concerns and desired results to create a custom treatment plan. In many cases, a combination of the two can prove to be an especially effective approach.
If you’re ready to take the next step with BOTOX or dermal fillers in the Boston area, please contact us to request a consultation or call us at (781) 740-7840.